This springs from a thread in the Dragon Wings sections, but I think warranted a Code3 thread of it's own. Sadly Dragon Models made a lot of inaccuracies to this model, but I just loved the scheme (and generally the finish of the Dragon Models) so much, that I had to give this one a go.
Work-in-progress shot, showcasing the machine-gun bay milled out:
Here's the final list of corrections made:
* Headrest installed and painted * Moved pitot tube to correct position * Filled-in the old pitot mounting hole * Added outer cannons * Stabilizers bent into correct alignment * Topdeck machinegun bay milled out and correct A-8 kit (Eduard) part installed and painted * Underside fuselage loop antenna installed * Underside fuselage antenna installed * Underside wing antenna installed * Wing cannon bulges grafted from kit and installed * Various painting touch-ups, including pitot tip. * Swazi decals added (Eduard kit + Mircoset / Microsol)
Oh wow. Nice work Gryph. Fantastic improvements and your list really helps us understand the work you did. Although, the work you did probably exceeds this list.
Collectors have their pet issues with DW Fws. Mine comes down to 2: The cowl opening seems too small, and also, it's hit or miss if the stabilizers were installed upside down (The Flying Mule's photo shows them upside down). Your stabs look great.
You've done wonders with this model. Thanks for showing your work. I'll be she displays real nice.
You have made a work of art of that Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8/R2 "Black 13!
I have this Dragon but haven't looked at it for some time. It resides in its box awaiting release. I still build A.F.V. kits in 1.72 scale when I have time.
I may well follow your lead and put the Black 13 in order some day when we've moved house, when we've unpacked, when we've painted the new house, when we've ......... , when we've .......... , when we've ............
I'm quite happy with the model now, but it was very difficult matching the colors and matt appearance as the rest of the model. I had to respray, sand and brush paint the top machinegun cover a handful times. I think I need a small break from these big conversions
But what I did experience for the first time, was how easy and effective Microset / Microsol are for decals. Superb products and highly recommended!
I will now go over my other models and fix/replace the decals for a much better and lasting result.